Sound processor of the PS2. Is connected to or contains (depending on revision) 2 MB of EDO-RAM.
- CXD2942R (GH-001, GH-003, GH-008)
- CXD2942AR (GH-004, GH-005, GH-006, GH-007, GH-010, GH-012, GH-013, GH-014)
- CXD2942BR (GH-010, GH-012, GH-013, GH-014)
- CXD2950R (GH-015)
- CXD2947R (GH-017, GH-019, GH-022, GH-023, GH-036, GH-037, GH-040, GH-041, GH-051, GH-052, XPD-001, XPD-005)
- SPU2-RAM moved into SPU2 itself; no external SPU2-RAM
- CXD2955R (GH-026, GH-027, GH-029, GH-032, GH-035)
- Additionally also includes functionality of SSBUS controller
Starting with GH-026, the SSBUS controller and the SPU2 were combined into a single chip (CXD2955R), until the SSBUS controller functionality ultimately became obsolete with the introduction of the L-chassis (SCPH-75XXX, GH-036 and newer), hence the move back to CXD2947R on GH-036 and newer.
Starting with GH-061, the SPU2 was integrated into the new main SoC (CXD2976GB) and does not exist as a dedicated IC anymore.