Bugs & Vulnerabilities
FW <=4.51 - Five vulnerabilities chained by TheFloW
- CTurt for the idea based on FreeDVDBoot for PS2
- TheFlow for the exploits finding and public disclosure. See TheFloW's PS5 kernel exploit announcement (2021-11-07).
- psxdev, sleirsgoevy and John Törnblom for the public implementations
- PS5 BD-JB implementation by Antonio Jose Ramos Marquez (psxdev)
- PS5 BD-JB implementation by John Törnblom
- PS5 BD-JB implementation by sleirsgoevy
- PS5 BD-JB implementation by TheFloW
Yes partially on PS5 FWs > 4.50 (need to test). Probably unpatched on FW 4.51 and patched on FW 5.00.
WebKit exploits are harder to make and do not even give arbitrary RW because of PS5 memory protections.
Modal Browser HTTPS Bypass
- It is possible to bypass HTTPS in the modal browser, if you reply to the HTTPS CONNECT with a standard HTTP 1.1 response, instead of attempting to create a tunnel. The browser will just display that response. The downside to this is you have no idea what the contents of even the HTTP REQUEST would have been, but it is useful for directing the web browser to any website you want.
FW 3.00-4.51 - WebCore::CSSFontFaceSet vulnerabilities leading to usermode ROP code execution
Contrarly to PS4, on PS5 this exploit does not allow arbitrary usermode memory RW because of PS5 memory protections. However thanks to tricks it is possible to get usermode ROP code execution from this exploit.
See also .
No as of PS5 FW 4.51 (need to test on PS5 FWs >=5.00).
Tested and working on PS4 FWs 9.00-9.04 and PS5 FWs 3.00-4.51. Untested: PS5 FWs 2.10-2.50 and >=5.00.
Game savedata exploits
PS2 games savedata exploits
PS4/PS5 PS2emu sandbox escape (mast1c0re)
PS4 emulator exploits
FW 3.00-4.51 or 5.00 - IPV6_2292PKTOPTIONS UaF (yielding arbitrary kernel R/W) (CVE-2020-7457)
See the PS4 wiki.
- See also implementation for FreeBSD 9 or 12 or PS4.
- Kernel exploit implementation for PS5 3.00-4.51 by Specter (2022-10-02)
Yes in PS5 FW 5.00 or 5.02. Invulnerable in PS5 FW 2.50 and below.
FW <= 4.03 - exFAT driver heap-based buffer overflow
Not yet because even though there is ChendoChap's method to execute usermode code in WebKit, there is no PS5 kernel dump to build a kernel ROP chain. Exploiting this kernel vulnerability blind is almost impossible because once the USB device is inserted it corrupts the kernel heap memory and if the offsets in the kernel ROP chain are bad it creates a kernel panic.
See the PS4 wiki.
Yes in PS5 FW 4.50.
SMAP bypass (CVE-2021-29628)
See also .
- Discovered and disclosed publicly by m00nbsd. Disclosed to SIE on 2020-12-01.
A SMAP bypass has been found by m00nbsd while working on FreeBSD 12. It is named CVE-2021-29628 and affects FreeBSD 12.2 and later (til it was patched). It does not work on PS4 because PS4 kernel is based on FreeBSD 9 which did not contain the vulnerability and because PS4 SMAP does not come from FreeBSD but is custom from Sony. It used to work on PS5 before it was disclosed and patched.
Yes in PS5 FW 2.30 or later according to dates.
Untested: Partial SAMU KeyRings bruteforce by missing HMAC length check in secure kernel
Potentially vulnerable on PS5 FWs <= 4.03.
Symmetric PS5 root keys dump by software exploit by Fail0verflow
Fail0verflow either has a bootrom execution exploit or an AMD/ARM PSP hack.
This allows to decrypt on PC most parts of the PS5 System Software files including:
- secure loader (?AMD? ARM Platform Security Processor module) of Oberon
And by derivation, mostly like on PS Vita:
- secure modules
- kernel boot loader / BIOS
- non-secure kernel
- usermode system modules